Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sheridan to be Giants Defensive Coordinator

Forgot to link to this yesterday...but linebacker coach Bill Sheridan is going to be the new defensive coordinator.
 
From my friend Jay on Spagnuolo: "This loss is going to hurt, although I did feel that our defense dropped off considerably after the 11-1 start.  Last year (albeit with fewer injuries) our defense just seemed to get stronger as the season went on.  This year, not so much.  Still, I consider this a big loss going into next season."
 
I agree...As I said before, this is going to be a very different team going into next year. Ward, Butler and Toomer are free agents (as is Jacobs, but I expect him to sign quickly). Osi should be returning to join the front 7.
 
I'm sort of glad they promoted from within. I think that the Giants defense was never their biggest problem (besides the 3rd and 20, they were pretty good in the playoff game as well), so promoting from within and keeping the same scheme that allowed them to be so successful is probably a good decision.
 
The Giants did beat both of the Super Bowl teams. They beat the Cardinals without Jacobs or Plax mostly due to their defense which forced a fumble and INT of Warner that led to TDs. And against the Steelers, the Giants tormented Big Ben all day with 4 INTs and 5 sacks (My rudimentary calculations give him a QB rating of 38.5 for the game). So the Giants defense wasn't really their biggest problem...and they should get better next year with a healthy Osi and another year of development for Aaron Ross, Kenny Phillips, Jay Alford, Michael Johnson, and Terrell Thomas (all who were either rookies or second years in 2008).
 
And the team has to improve because R.W. McQuarters is an unrestricted free agent...
 
Oh...and my prediction of 6 1/2 point spread came true...and then quickly moved to 7. So Steelers by 7 to start off the long wait until the Super Bowl.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment