Friday, January 23, 2009

One Thing Others Don't Know

This big question that is asked during orientation groups and during other icebreaking activities is "what is one thing about you that others don't know?" Now this is a really broad question and one that takes some deft answering. You don't want someone in a work setting talking about that one time in Tijuana or someone freshman year of college talking about that one time in band camp. For many, this is a tough question to answer. You need to sound interesting doing it...but you don't want to come off as a weirdo...and you need the right level of show-off-ness to leave an impression with others, but not seem to snobby.
 
I have the perfect answer: I wrote a book. You can still find it on Amazon.com and many other sites. And I think it's always the right balance of more interesting and less weirdo without being too showoffy. While writing for the school newspaper, I received a call from a new company, College Prowler, who loved my writings and wanted me to write the Brandeis edition of their book. It was a fun experience and although the company never has reached profitability (and I've, therefore, made all of $25 off of the book), it has provided for a good conversation starter.
 
And if you want to buy a copy of the book, I promise I'll sign it for you ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment