Monday, January 26, 2009

Afternoon Links

Some afternoon links from around the world...
 
-Some more non-surprising things about Torre's book emerged. But the one "interesting" one is that Torre realized Carl Pavano would fail in New York because of a wedding rehearsal dinner...ummm...and Pete Abraham says that nothing ever ends well, which is also quite true.
-Wal-Mart going green to make more green.
-Incoming Senator Kirsten Gillibrand may have a little bit of problem from Hispanics after this headline...And she may have 2010 competition from one of my favorite New York Rangers players (H/T to Rangers Report).
-Russ Feingold wants to introduce an amendment banning gubernatorial appointments. And I couldn't agree more. Although runoff elections would be dominated by special interests groups, at least the person elected would be done so by the people.
-He's #30 on the all-time list right now, but if A-Rod drives in at least 100 runs a season over the next 7 seasons, he'll easily shatter Hank Aaron's record. At his career pace, it would take him less than 5 1/2 seasons. Yet another record he's in line to take down.
-I'm doing my part to protect wild turtles (H/T Sarah).
-TWPs most ridiculous moments on "24". I think they sort of left out all the times Jack has "died" and come back to life as well and how well-recovered he is afterward. Only at the end of Season 2 does he seem to have any lasting effects.
-SAG Awards were last night. I didn't watch. But I would like to comment a bit about the TV categories:
 
-I know there's a lot of love for "House" and especially Hugh Laurie...but this award should have gone to Michael C. Hall or Jon Hamm. Not that Laurie's role as House isn't good, but I just believe the other two deserved accolades for their performances.
-Sally Field won because she is Sally Field. I know that. But Elisabeth Moss was phenomenal on "Mad Men". Or maybe one of the other women. I don't know. I just say spread the love a little.
-"30 Rock" is a really funny show, but I think that Alec Baldwin rode the wave to his award. I think any of those actors on there would have been worthy.
-I love Tina Fey...but I also love Mary-Louise Parker. So while I can't quibble about this one, I wouldn't have been disappointed if it had gone to Nancy Botwin.
-How is "Weeds" a comedy and "Dexter" a drama? Not saying that "Dexter" shouldn't be a drama, but I don't see how they fit into two different categories like that. PLEASE explain that to me...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment