Monday, March 23, 2009

Yankee News (Including Stadium Food Options)

Some Yankee news as the regular season slowly approaches (though the weather wouldn't make you think so). I may have some new and exciting news tomorrow night, but will give more updates later on that.
 
-First, some really important news for my stomach from the New Stadium Insider on the food options. Dippin' Dots are out (I guess the future never came for them...) but a few new things are in. I feel like the Yankees sort of missed the boat on this one. While Danny Meyer is bringing a Shake Shack, Blue Smoke and other eateries to Citifield (and Sixpoint beer providing libations), the Yankees seemed to have played it a little differently. Not that I'm disappointed in all the choices (as long as Carl's Steaks are there, I'll be quite happy), but it seems like they could have really made a good dining experience (I'm sure many companies would have been interested in getting involved).
-Sliding Into Home has some really sad pictures of the old stadium which shows no grass left [*tear*]
-Fangraphs asks whether Mariano Rivera can defy father time? I'm certainly hoping so. But after having one of the best seasons of his entire career last year, I don't think we can expect that. Rather, I think we're looking at one of his very good seasons once again, from Mo. And that's all the Yanks need.
-The X Man, Xavier Nady, seems like he'll be the starting right fielder. In some ways, this makes sense for the Yanks who were killed by lefties last year. Nick Swisher seems to have some more versatility, though I hope he gets his 400+ ABs as well. The question really is, with those two, will Nady regress further from last season than Nick Swisher improves? Tough to tell. But I think that Swisher is better defensively and will get on base more and see more pitches (which is important for Abreu's replacement after the OBP and pitches per AB he gave them).
-Lastly, some interesting news on the Rocket and Mike Piazza from Deadspin. Just read it. I can't adequately explain here. Let's just say they may have both been on 'roids but Piazza may have been more of a wimp/less 'roid raged(?).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment