Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What About Housh On Big Blue?

In response to my post on Marvin Harrison coming to the Giants (which I think was read by T-Rock, judging by his last paragraph) I got this e-mail from loyal reader, Eric, re: Wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh: ...according to the National Football Post, which cited the Cincinnati Enquirer, which itself cited the Sporting News, Housh is top target for the g-men (and would make more sense for them than Marvin). 
I would tend to agree with Eric--all depending on how much "Housh" is asking for. The Giants need to improve at linebacker and wide receiver and this would be a really quick and easy way to do so. Will this fit under the cap? When I discussed this Ralph Vacchiano post on the Giants' free agents, I forgot to comment on their cap situation. Right now they seem to be $10-$12 million under. A long-term deal with Jacobs and/or Manning probably helps that out. A swift resolution to the Burress situation could make it even easier.
I don't know the Bengals cap situation, but it seems odd they would use their franchise tag for a kicker rather than for Housh...but I guess they decided to go another way. If it's due to the fact that the Bengals couldn't afford him, that fact may hurt Big Blue as well.
Housh isn't the big body that Plax is nor does he have stellar stats. But he did lead the league in receptions in 2007 (when he made the Pro Bowl) and caught 12 TDs. And overall, he's shown himself to be a reliable receiver who the QB can count on. The New York Football Giants need to get a target for Eli and I think it may be a good decision to look long and hard at Housh.

No comments:

Post a Comment