Saturday, September 12, 2009

Steinbrenner Yankeeography Well Done, Very Funny

I just finished watching YES Yankeeography on George Steinbrenner. I was interested to seeing it, especially after writing a post this past week about the man and wanting to see what the Yankees and other had to say. Overall, I think it was a job well-done. The best part about it, I think, was some of the humorous George Steinbrenner anecdotes. The Boss was a pretty funny guy and I definitely laughed quite a few times at the various quotes they reproduced. The best one was from Lou Piniella:
I didn't know Mr. Steinbrenner at all. I had just been traded there. I was just joking around. I said (to Steinbrenner), 'Our Lord Jesus Christ had long hair, and things seemed to work out for him.' He didn't say a word. He said, 'Come with me.' We walked across the street to the Ft. Lauderdale swimming pool and he said, 'If you can walk on water, you can wear your hair any way you want.'
I think that they could have spent a little more time speaking about some of bad parts of Steinbrenner (the suspensions and his contentious relationships), but this is his network and they weren't going to throw the old man under the bus. I rather hear about his charitable work too, especially the story of how Ray Negron got his job (let's just say he was a little bit of a juvenile delinquent before The Boss got a hold of him)

Speaking of the old man, it was sad to see how much he's really deteriorated the past few years. They had some interviews with him in the early 2000s and he looked quite with it and was funny and clear thinking. It's sad to think he's slipped so much that he refuses to make many public appearances.

But it made me appreciate even more what he's done for the Yankees and knowing they'd never be where they are right now (the team, the ballpark, the recent history) had it not been for George Michael Steinbrenner III.

No comments:

Post a Comment