Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What I'm Drinking...Kosher for Passover Wines Edition

As this blog is starting to look a little baseball heavy - thought I'd jump back in. Although I would love to start putting posts up about my lovely Red Sox, I would like to not get kicked out on the curb by this blog's creator. (That's right all - he's dating a RED SOX fan!)

Baseball differences aside, we do agree on a few things - one of them being there is no such thing as too much wine. Although we skew towards the reds, our wine adventures in Australia and New Zealand reopened our eyes to whites, and had us sampling new wines (for us) including sweet Shiraz, dessert wines of all types, and new tasting methods.

As it is Passover options are somewhat limited this week. But I must say, when I was a Senior in College, two of my roommates kept Kosher (and my best friend and I joked about all the things they did that I now do!) and I was pretty disappointed in the Kosher Wine selection available, though looking back it might have been a price point issue.

Willing to search a harder and spend a little more than Waltham Massachusetts package shop - I must say I thoroughly enjoyed my wine experiences of the past week. (Going glass for glass with Andrew's Uncle at the second sedar might have added to this). But for all the non-believers, there is more to Kosher Wine than Manischewitz. Below are some of my favorites from the K for P selection I tried this year. (I purchased most of mine at Gotham Wines on the Upper West Side).

Here are my first two - trying to track down the name of a Rioja I drank and will review that along with what I'm drinking tonight.

- Galil Mountain Yiron; Israel (~$22-$30 depending on store) not sure if this was the '04 or '05 Vintage. Depending on the year the composition is different with the Cab/Merlot/Syrah. Deep colors, complex and deep with spicy current and oaks. Very well rated and popular Passover wine. I would drink this year round.

- Barkan Pinot Noir 2006 ($10-$15 depending on store)Medium Bodied and Fruity - Not many K for P Pinot Noirs in this price point - recommended as good for it's price. I really enjoyed this - though it was my later glasses in the Seder.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment