Friday, April 10, 2009

MLB Tonight Is My Favorite New Show

When I click the info button on my remote it says

MLB Tonight: Roundtripper
Featuring live look-ins, updates, highlights, reporting and analysis


This is my favorite new show (MLB Tonight: From 1st to 3rd seems to be just another version of the same show). I feel like it's an upgraded ESPN's Baseball Tonight. Here's the press release. I love that they go live to big match-ups in the game while they are going on. Although I love the organ of Baseball Tonight, I love watching those events unfurl as they are happening live. They have an interesting lineup with Harold Reynolds, Barry Larkin, John Hart (their answer to Steve Phillips), Tom Verducci, and Sean Casey (among others) flanked by former pitchers such as Al Leiter, Dan Pleasac, Mitch Williams, and Todd Jones. And they have super foxy Hazel Mae (formerly of NESN).

This show is definitely trying to be Baseball Tonight, they even end with a segment a lot like Web Gems and they have Harold Reynolds (who I realized how much I missed...he really is the best). They are a little to cliche driven and not having guys like Peter Gammons, Buck Showalter, Buster Olney or Jayson Stark make them a little less legit, but they are going to capture my attention many nights this summer. At least when Baseball Tonight is not on...

And they are going to have Thursday and Saturday night baseball, so I'm excited to see their broadcast. I wonder if Bob Costas will be doing those broadcasts? That would be pretty awesome.

Speaking of Costas, I have a conspiracy theory (totally ridiculous, but I figured I'd share). The day Costas joined MLB Network, a big story broke. What story? Alex Rodriguez's steroid test. I wonder if MLB did a little leaking to boost up some ratings?

Regardless, I'm excited to see what MLB Network is going to bring over the course of the summer. So far, so good. Promo below:

No comments:

Post a Comment