Monday, August 24, 2009

Addition of the Yankees Magic Number

Jay inspired me. We're putting up the Yankees magic number widget up on the blog. It's to the right. I felt like we should start the countdown after the Yankees took two out of three. So it's a little gift from me to you.

Speaking of gifts, the Red Sox got one tonight. This was what I remember of Jose Contreras. He was staked to a 4-1 lead and in the bottom of the inning there was a runner on first with two outs. Here's what followed: walk, hit batter, error by Contreras, walk (to walk home a run), wild pitch (run scored), 3-run home run. 2 2/3 innings, 3 walks, 2 wild pitches, a hit batter, and 7 runs...yet only one earned.

I believe, that's a rule that needs to be changed. The pitcher commits an error that leads to all those runs and gets zero earned runs charged to him. We can call it the Jose Contreras rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment