Wednesday, May 20, 2009

TV Update And Some New Shows

Been following the cancellations/renewal season this year. Lots of interesting moves made by different networks. And with a lull in television from my fall/winter shows (The Office, Lost, 24, etc.) to my summer shows (Entourage, Mad Men, Weeds, Dexter, Californication, etc.), I figured it was as good a time as any to look at what's going on...
Ausiello has a good cheat sheet list of shows with their current status. The only big moves in shows that I watch is that Scrubs was renewed (albeit with less JD and Elliot), and Law and Order and Law and Order: SVU were renewed, though the original is moving to Friday nights (where all shows go to die--*tear*) and SVU is moving to the original slot on Wednesday nights. Glad to see, though, that they cancelled a lot of shows that looked horrendous. Just so I can stop seeing promo commercials for them during sporting events.
First of all, Doc Jensen has become one of my favorite writers over at EW with his Lost writings and his recap of the season finale and article today (on Juliet) were really, really excellent. Definitely got me thinking as we head into a painful offseason for the show. Also, although Ethan Kanin seemed like he was back in as Allison Taylor's Chief of Staff, Ausiello reports it will be a new guy.
There are a bunch of new fall pilots. I don't know what to think about any of them, but I'll over some opinion anyways. ABC roles out a lineup of big name stars: Courteney Cox, Billy Zane, Joseph Fiennes, Jerry Bruckheimer, Kelsey Grammer, and Patricia Heaton (as well as Lost's Juliet and Scrubs Janitor). NBC roles out a very similar lineup for last season, but the big addition for me is Joel McHale's show. I'm very interested to see how that turns out. Also, interested to find out why Subway was so interested in bringing back Chuck. Fox has a very different lineup than the rest, though I'm sort of excited to see The Cleveland Show. My fear is that it'll be a step down from American Dad which is very hit or miss itself. Let's just say ABC's lineup upfront did not go as smoothly as expected thanks to Jimmy Kimmel ripping his own network (according to the New York Times). And I haven't watched a CBS show in as long as I can remember and none of these new offerings are making me think about changing my mind.
Will continue to post TV updates as they come, but I think that, for the most part, this blog will be concentrated on sports until the summer season starts. And I can tell you I'm looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment