Thursday, May 7, 2009

On Manny Testing Positive for PEDs...

Wow is all I have to say. I felt the same way when I heard about A-Rod. I felt the same way when I heard about Clemens and Pettitte. I don't know why it surprises me anymore. If you told me that Edwar Ramirez is using steroids to get his ball to move like it does, at this point, I shouldn't be surprised. But still, the news today about Manny left me somewhat surprised.
Now I have to say that I'm not surprised that he wasn't caught on the Red Sox. Because no one cheats on the Red Sox. It's actually quite ridiculous how many potential steroids users that team had (Manny, Big Papi, Pedro, Nomar, Varitek, and even Curt Schilling was injecting his ankle with HGH in 2004) that not one name has come out for that team while they were still on the team (actually, it's not all that ridiculous because George Mitchell is an employee of the team).
That being said, how about this from Jose Canseco back on April 6th in a speaking engagement at USC: "Why didn't Ramirez get a long-term deal? Canseco asks. Why were owners gun-shy about signing arguably the game's best hitter?...To Canseco, the drawn-out negotiation, the lack of a long-term deal, the lack of interest all raise red flags"
Wow. Jose Canseco is still a complete sleazebag in my books, but the guy does know who was/is using. He was right about A-Rod and Manny and who knows how many others.
According to the LA Times story, this suspension will cost Manny $7.7 million and "Ramirez is expected to attribute the test results to medication received from a doctor for a personal medical issue"
He is eligible to come back July 3rd. And I think he'll be very quick to exercise that player's option for next season (or just not opt out of his contract in November). Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment