Monday, February 8, 2010

My Five Favorite 2010 Super Bowl Ads

Part of the fun of the Super Bowl is the advertisements. We laugh, we cry, we cringe, and we sometimes wonder if the company could have spent $3 million a littel better. Although I'm sure there's a few I missed, here's my top 5 (click "read more" on the homepage to see all the videos).

Honorable Mentions: TruTV: Troy “Punxsutawney” Polamalu, Coca Cola: Hard Times (with The Simpsons), Bridgestone: Whale of a Tale, the end of the VW: Punching Game and all the NFL.com commercials.


#5 E-Trade: Girlfriend
The Babies + "The Wolf" + "Milkaholic" = two thumbs up



#4 Bud Light: Survivor
LOST + funny + the hot tub = great (and did you see Dr. Pierre Chang in a different Bud Light ad? Conspiracy? The Numbers? Smoke Monster?)



#3 Snickers: Game
Betty White + Football = a win in my book (just with those two...that's all it took)



#2 HomeAway: Hotel Hell Vacation
The Griswolds + "complimentary" = amazing (this is one time I didn't care what the product was, but just loved the ad)



#1 Google: Parisian Love
Short + sweet + to-the-point + frankly, unexpected = very, very well done. And then I saw this:
If you watched the Super Bowl this evening you'll have seen a video from Google called "Parisian Love". In fact you might have watched it before, because it's been on YouTube for over three months. We didn't set out to do a Super Bowl ad, or even a TV ad for search. Our goal was simply to create a series of short online videos about our products and our users, and how they interact. But we liked this video so much, and it's had such a positive reaction on YouTube, that we decided to share it with a wider audience.

If you like it too, we hope you'll watch the others. Enjoy.



Your thoughts? Were there any that you liked more?

4 comments:

  1. I personally was extremely overwhelmed by all the commercials - in fact I can't say I loved a single one. Most of these spots are produced by the highest of high profile Ad firms. The Ad buy and production costs total north of 5M on a lot of these. And yet, they just weren't that good!

    For the first time in a while this Superbowl felt, to me, like just another football game. The commercials were nothing special, the Who was really just "eh", but the game was strong and close. It was clean (almost no penalties), and quick (both teams kept the clock running). Just good ole fashioned football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ads were somewhat of a disappointment this year. I will say the Google one was my favorite.

    Surprised the Punch-DUB didn't make your list. The Stevie Wonder cameo at the end had me laughing for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and the Brett Farve 2020 MVP was a good one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave the VW: Punching Game a special mention. Except for the ending (which was hilarious) it wasn't different than anything we had seen before.

    I think #1 and #2 were far and away better than the rest

    ReplyDelete