Friday, February 26, 2010

Guest Post: Monthly Rankings Based on Sports and Life

On a snowy February day, Paul is back with another guest post. Paul "likes" include Joba-to-the-'pen, college sports, beating the Red Sox, classic rock concerts and hot cocoa K-cups. His "dislikes" include "clowns" (such as Johnny Damon), the New England Patriots, and the UConn Huskies. When bad things occur, Paul's signature phrase, "BRUTAL!", comes flying out. With that all in mind, let's get to Paul's guest post.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the very dull month of February is coming to a close (yay!), I figure it’s a good time to review and rank all the months of year based on a combination of sports enjoyment and life in general. For instance, August is a dull month in sports but I can’t rank it last since the weather is great. Below is my list, best to worst:

1) October – Easily my favorite month of the year; baseball playoffs, NFL and college football are in full swing. Also there is fall foliage here in the Northeast and the weather is cool and very comfortable. It’s a very festive time of year with Halloween, craft fairs, pumpkin coffee/muffins/ice cream/beer, etc.. Heck, even Bill Simmons mentions why October is his favorite month

2) March – This choice is here based more on location. It follows the worst month of they year (see below). March has "March Madness", of course, which I love as a college hoop fan. In addition to the tournament itself, the conference tournament week is sometimes even more exciting. I don’t watch spring training closely but the official return of baseball happens this month. Now March has daylight savings back with more daylight due to a change a few years ago (what a great idea, by the way). The feeling I get in this month is that spring is finally coming after a long winter!

3) December – I know it’s a cold wintery month, but we have the holidays to enjoy/stress out about. From a sports point of view, there is a lot going on including NFL regular season wind down and the start of college bowl games. College hoops starts to get in full swing, also.

4) September – The weather is still warm and it’s the return of football (both NFL and college)! Also, you have baseball Pennant races! [Andrew's editor's note: you also have the return of the NHL and NBA and hope that your team will reign supreme when the weather is nice again]

5) April – The return of spring and baseball!! Opening day is always exciting; there is also the NCAA final four and the Masters for golf fans. The only problem with this month is that it rains too much and the weather is still too cold here in the Northeast.

6) July – This choice is more based on life itself being in the middle of the summer. The baseball season is very long but at least you have the All-Star break. The weather is obviously great and I’m usually on vacation so that’s a big plus! And of course the 4th of July weekend is very enjoyable!

7) January – Another cold month but it has NFL playoffs, lots of college bowl games, and college hoops. I particularly like all the bowl games on January 1st. Also, it’s nice as the stress of the holidays is over

8/9/10) June/May/August – these months are all similar, great weather and sunlight till 9 o’clock but not much sports going on except baseball which can be quite long anyway. May and June do have NBA and NHL playoffs which I’ll tune into but they are not my favorite

11) November – lots of good sports going on but I hate this month in general. The start of winter, the leaves are gone as foliage is just too short, cold November rain, daylight savings time returns as daylight disappears around 5 PM. There is one great thing however in November: Thanksgiving which is my favorite holiday. Still, one long weekend can’t make up for the rest.

12) February – simply the worst, I mean BRUTAL!! The winter is just long at this point and there are no big holidays this month to compensate. We have to deal with the "no football hangover" as the NFL officially ends. There are campus college hoop games which are exciting but this isn’t enough--this just helps me keep sane as this is all I watch. This February has been a little better than most because of the Super Bowl which recently has been in this month. But generally, the Super Bowl was in January. Also, the Olympics this year have been fun to watch, especially hockey (even though I’m not a big fan).

So there you have it. What are your favorite/least favorite months? I don’t watch NBA, NHL, Golf or horse racing so I’m sure there will be varying opinions.

Picture from the AP via Yahoo! Sports

5 comments:

  1. I guess it really all depends what sports you like the best. I'm a big fan of the MLB trading deadline and the NHL playoffs, so I would put June and July a little higher. But good list, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I think about it, the more I feel that April needs to be higher on this list. You have March Madness coming to an end with the start of the Final Four, you get the end of the regular season and start of the playoffs for both the NBA and the NHL, you also get the start of the regular season for baseball as well as the NFL Draft. And then you have the Masters.

    So, IMO, April should be a little higher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Paul!

    My only problem is that December is ranked far too high. It's cold and people are distracted by the holidays and vacations to really get into sports. Nobody cares about college basketball that early in the season (oooooh, UConn vs. Sacred Heart!!) and only the crappy bowl games are played in December. Same problem with the NBA/NHL...it's too early in the season for things to really be interesting. In fact, the only good thing about December is the excitement of late-season NFL games.

    I'd also switch 11 and 12. November is by far the worst. At least February has had the Super Bowl for the last decade or so...plus, college basketball starts to heat up, and there's the excitement of pitchers & catchers and spring training talk. And you get the Olympics every 4 years.

    Otherwise, I think your 1-2 ranking is spot on. I think January is correct too. Right in the middle. Good month with bowl games and NFL playoffs, closer to midseason in NHL/NBA, college basketball right in midseason. Not a bad month, aside from the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. December might be a bit high but this is a personal biased ranking. For me it's a great month because I'm in 3 year long pools and they all converge in December (and November which is another reason I don't pick this month last) - college football, NFL, and college basketball. So I have to pay attention to 39 college hoop games and 16 NFL games a week on top of the bowl games. It's pretty crazy.

    The holidays are indeed stressful but I like the time off and spending time with family and just watching sports. I like winter too so Dec doesn't bother me. Still, I could put April and Sept ahead as you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... cmd368

    ReplyDelete