Friday, June 12, 2009

Stats of the Day, 20,000, and Final Destination/Lost

20,000 visitors and counting. Thank you to all of you who have come and visited the blog. When I started out a couple of months ago, I had no clue what was going to happen with this blog, but it's been a fun outlet to talk about sports even when those sports aren't all that fun. Here was the first post (now moved over from the original blogspot) when all that was on my mind was Giants football and who the Yankees were going to sign. I want to thank the other contributors to the blog (Ari, Ben, Jay and Sarah) and all those people who forward me links or write guest posts or link to me on their blog. Please continue to bookmark this page, subscribe to the RSS feed, sign up for e-mail updates, and tell all your friends about us. Thank you, thank you, thank you.  
Here, courtesy of Peter Abraham are your stats of the day:
 
PITCHING, PITCHING, PITCHING: The Yankees are 21-0 when the opposition scores three runs or less.
THAT’S RISP AS IN REALLY INSIGNIFICANT SCORING PRODUCTION: The Yankees were 3 of 28 with runners in scoring position in the Boston series and are 7 of their last 62, a fine .113 average.
 
It's no more simple than this: pitch and get hits with men in scoring position. It's a simple game in that way.
One last thought: I was reading this article (totally unrelated to baseball) about the woman who missed the Air France flight that crashed...only to die in a car crash this week. How incredibly sad and unfortunate that is. But I couldn't help but think of the movie Final Destination where, although the main characters survived a plan crash, they all started dying one by one because that was the natural order of things. I couldn't help but think of Lost and the ideas of fate and destiny. And then I watched the Yankees game last night and even though they had taken the lead, they had played so poorly and almost didn't deserve to win...and then, well, they didn't. The baseball gods couldn't possibly let them win a game where they made such bad base running mistakes, hit 1-11 with RISP, dropped easy fly balls, made bad bullpen decisions, etc. When I say this team is cursed against the Sox, last night is what I'm talking about.
But maybe that's about to change. Just opened my fortune cookie for today (seriously, as I was about to post this, I opened up the fortune): "Your secret desire to completely change your life will manifest"
Let's hope that means the Yankees are no longer cursed and that fate will guide them back to the World Series.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment