Thursday, July 30, 2009

Who Exactly Was Canseco Talking About?

When there's steroids news, there's Jose Canseco quotes. To be fair, although most people thought he was a nut, he's been right about mostly all of the players he's called out as steroids users. So what did he say today?
"When you tell me something I didn't already know, I'll be surprised," Canseco told ESPN. "And I'll tell you this, Major League Baseball is going to have a big, big problem on their hands when they find out they have a Hall of Famer who's used."

"It's not about naming names," he said. "I've never had anything against the players. It's always been against Major League Baseball. I know who's on that list, but like I said, it's not about attacking the players. It's about the machine that allowed this to happen. What I speak out of my mouth is the truth. It burns like fire. Just remember, I have never lied about this subject."
So who the heck is Jose talking about? Let's just assume it was someone he actually played with. Using Baseball-Reference's Oracle, which shows you everyone that Jose Canseco played with, here are the current Hall-Of-Famers who were his teammates (although he could have very well been talking about possible future Hall Of Famers Rafael Palmeiro, Roger Clemens, Derek Jeter or Mariano Rivera)
  • Nolan Ryan
  • Rickey Henderson
  • Wade Boggs
  • Reggie Jackson
  • Don Sutton
  • Rich "Goose" Gossage
  • Dennis Eckersley
The only guy on that list who was active in 2003? Rickey Henderson, the guy who was JUST elected to the baseball Hall of Fame. And Rickey Henderson and Jose Canseco were teammates on the 1990 Oakland A's when Rickey won his only MVP...

Just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment