Monday, January 3, 2011

A Look at the Giants: Who To Root For In the Playoffs

If you could have told me the Giants would finish with a 10-6 record at the beginning of the season, I would have signed up for it. The same was true after they fell to 1-2 after a dismal home loss against the Titans. But in the end, 10-6 feels like a hugely disappointing season because it knocks them out of the playoffs. The Giants left wins on the New Meadowlands field against the Titans, Cowboys, and, most painful of all, the Eagles--and even one win in those three games would have gotten the Giants into the big dance. But since they aren't there, we're going to do what we did last year and count down from the worst to the best in order to give you a guide of who to root for as a Giants fan in this year's playoffs.
A 7-9 team winning the Super Bowl wouldn't sit well with this Giants fan (ESPN)

12) Philadelphia Eagles

Pretty simple here. Not only are they now the Giants fiercest rivals (with apologies to the Cowboys and Redskins), but the Giants came oh-so-close to beating them twice this year but fell victim to end-of-game collapses. The last game was the worst of all and any prideful Giants fan should be rooting against the Dog Killer and Deshaun Jackson. For the Eagles to even make a Super Bowl they'll have to go through Green Bay, Chicago (at Chicago), and probably Atlanta (at Atlanta). You hope that road is too tough for Michael Vick and company because the Eagles celebrating with the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year will make someone kill Matt Dodge.

11) Seattle Seahawks

There is a huge drop-off from the Eagles to here. Under the current rules a 7-9 team can make the playoffs in the NFL but if the Giants win 3 more games and the Seahawks find an improbable way to win a Super Bowl, well, that's just not right. The reason division winners are given an automatic bid is to make sure that if a division beats up on each other because they're really good, then all the teams aren't punished. And in the NFC South you had that situation where Atlanta, New Orleans and Tampa Bay were really good. This is not the same situation. Really good teams win games outside the division. This is a team the Giants beat in their home stadium and this crappy team cannot make it past the first round for any Giants fan's sanity.

10) Chicago Bears

The Giants demolished Jay Cutler and the Bears and it looked like that was going to be the downfall of their season...and now they have a first-round bye? I don't get it. Worse yet is that they couldn't beat the Packers yesterday to help out the Giants. I give them kudos for trying (although I don't understand it considering the hits that Jay Cutler took) but their failure doesn't help the position on this list. And between Jay Cutler and Devin Hester, this is not a likable team for Giants fans. Anyone who has watched football the past few years knew Cutler was throwing a pick to end the game yesterday. Can't root for a QB like that.

9) New York Jets

I'll repeat what I said last year: "As a Rangers fan, I hate the Islanders and Devils. As a Yankees fan, I dislike the Mets. But I'm pretty agnostic in my rooting interests as a Giants fan vs. the Jets. But this is one exception." It's not even that Jets fans are that annoying or that I dislike any of the Jets players all that much. But especially after watching Hard Knocks this year, if Mark Sanchez can lead the Jets through the playoffs, it will be depressing thinking about Eli turned the ball over 30 times. And selfishly I don't want parades in the Canyon of Heroes unless my team is taking part in it. There, I said it.

8) New England Patriots

There wasn't a rivalry here until 2007 but as a Giants fan, I think you have some animosity towards Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and company. It's also a "Boston" thing. Yankees/Red Sox. Rangers/Bruins. Knicks/Celtics. The only real rivalry is the first one but it feels there always should be a rivalry between New York and Boston teams. The problem this year is that the Patriots are so damn likable with gritty rookies playing well and 5'8" Danny Woodhead replacing Randy "I'll play when I want to" Moss. The one hope here is that the Adam Vinatieri curse would continue--and with the kicking game being the Pats only weakness, it certainly could be the case.

7) Indianapolis Colts

Call it brotherly envy but it dawned on me halfway through last year's playoffs that if I have to suffer through one bumbling Manning, then the Colts should have to suffer the same fate. Misery loves company--especially in sports--and this is a case of that. Despite a divide in playing level that is as wide as the Grand Canyon, both Manning brothers have one Super Bowl a piece. I'm really OK with that staying the same. Plus, this year the Colts demolished the Giants and I'd be OK if one of the teams below on this list returned the favor to the Colts.

6) Green Bay Packers

The team the Giants just couldn't vault to get into the playoffs. The Packers offense and defense demolished the Giants two weeks ago and then they looked like the Carolina Panthers yesterday. There is no one in particular that I dislike on this team--especially with Brett Favre gone--but if the #6 seed wins the Super Bowl out of the NFC, it will make me regret all those close Giants losses so much more. Like the Philadelphia Flyers run to the Stanley Cup last season after barely beating out the New York Rangers, a run by the Packers for the Lombardi trophy would keep me wondering what could have been...

5) Baltimore Ravens

I wrote this last year and the same petty argument applies in the New Year: "Talk about not letting grudges go. Exactly 10 years ago the Giants completed a magical run to the Super Bowl through the Eagles and the Vikings, only to get trounced in the Super Bowl by the Ravens. It wasn't even close. The Ravens completely demoralized and crushed them. My dad still swears that Kerry Collins owed someone money with how he threw the game. The problem now is that the Ravens are the Giants clone. The Ravens run the ball well, play hard-nosed defense and have a confident QB who can lead them to victory. The fact that the Ravens are more successful at the same strategy is painful."

4) Pittsburgh Steelers 

I really just think it's Big Ben who is unlikable on this team but he alone will get them to this ranking. But in the same breath I have to acknowledge how well the Steelers did to get to this point. With Big Ben suspended for the first few games of the season, many wondered if the Steelers would even finish .500. Well they finish well above that and have a first-round bye in the playoffs. It may be one-and-done for the Steel Curtain, though, as I feel like this is a team which has eeked out many wins behind a poorly constructed offensive line and a dormant running game. It would just piss me off if they did well considering all that.

3) Atlanta Falcons

They're here just because I'm not going to root for favorites. But they are a pretty likable team and the vaulting of the team from out of the playoffs into home-field advantage throughout the playoffs is a remarkable jump. Plus, the fact that they're the one team who seems primed to beat both the Eagles and Patriots makes them a "favorite" in my book. But here are the bottom of the pile we need to sort out the teams and if I have to pick against one of them, I'm picking the Dirty Birds from the Dirty South.

2) Kansas City Chiefs

The ultimate underdog pick here. To make the Super Bowl the Chiefs would have to go through the Baltimore Ravens, then go to either Pittsburgh or New England and win followed by another win vs. a top team. You know what, I think this Chiefs team can do it. Matt Cassel, Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe have developed into a great trio this season and the Chiefs are a tough team to beat. They run the ball well and play solid defense and those are the teams that dominate in the playoffs. They're a long-shot to win it all but it makes it that much more fun to root for them.

1) New Orleans Saints

I went down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras this past year. The Saints had just won the Super Bowl three days before I arrived and the party continued throughout the entire week. I really thought nausea over the "Who Dat?" culture would set in at some point but instead I saw myself embracing it. This was a city devastated by a disaster that lifted itself up by its bootstraps--and looking at The Big Easy in that way it felt a lot like The Big Apple post 9/11. After the BP oil spill this past year, New Orleans was dealt another blow to their fragile economy but the city keeps on thriving. So it's without much hesitation that I root for that city and the team that inhabits it during this year's playoffs. For a few weeks, I'm jumping on as a member of "Who Dat Nation". Black and Gold to the Super Bowl!

So who are you rooting for in this playoffs? Would you be OK with a Chiefs-Saints Super Bowl as a Giants fan? Would you change these rankings at all? Let us know in the comments below!

13 comments:

  1. I'm pulling for the Falcons and the Colts, but I'd be down with a Chiefs-Saints Super Bowl.

    No real reason for the Falcons. For some reason, I'm always drawn to the Colts when it comes time for me to make an AFC pick. I guess it's a Peyton thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    I would be OK with that as well. Anyone below #8 (the Pats) on my list would be fine in my book. The top 5 would be the only ones that would really not sit well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list. I would put the Chefs at 1 just because they haven't won in years. I've always liked them also.

    Sorry, I have to put the Pats at 12 thus if it's a 2004 SB rematch, I will be rooting for the Eagles.

    It's a bit depressing i have to watch the Pats in SB this year. Don't see anyone beating them. And they wouldn't have to face Colts in Division so the schedule already opened up for them as it always does. You might ask why I hate the Pats so much. Let's use an yest as an example

    *Pats up 14-0 in a meaningless game. Belicek takes out Brady for Hoyer. Then a few plays later, he puts Brady back in!!!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the Eagles should be #12. They deserve that position just for the Week 15 debacle. That's clear. But I'd put the Patriots as #11. I cannot stomach the idea of hearing the media gush about Brady and Belichick through 2 playoff wins and a Super Bowl title, not to mention another 6 months of talk radio fellatio until next season starts. I can hear the commentary now...

    "Tom Brady loses Randy Moss but still wins the Super Bowl with nothing but 2 rookie tight ends, Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis Foot-Fungus, a past-his-prime Deion Branch, a little Jewish guy named Julian Edelman, and the scrappygrittyhardworking Wes Welker."

    //slurrrrrp//

    "Belichick does more with less than any other coach in the NFL."

    //mmmmmmmm//

    "Who needs Richard Seymour and Asante Samuel when you've got Tully Banta-Cain a.k.a. Tedy Bruschi 2.0 and rookie gold mine Devin McCourty??"

    //ohyeahhhhh!!//

    "Jets castaway Danny Woodhead clinches victory and crushes Jets fans everywhere with game-winning 4th quarter TD."

    //heyoooooo!!/////

    I can't see how any Giants fan wouldn't be nauseated by the thought of this year's Patriots -- who feature their least impressive defense of the Belichick era -- winning it all despite losing their biggest offensive weapon (Moss) early in the season. Especially if Brady's streak of pass attempts without an INT continues. You know what, I'm just going to stop talking about it. Someone please just take them down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also disagree with Seattle being #11. So much talk has been devoted to Seattle's 7-9 record, which is the first time a sub-.500 team has won the division and thus a playoff spot. But let's not pretend this is the first time a lousy team made the playoffs by winning a lousy division while some other (much better) team is stuck at home because they happened to play in a tougher division. In actually happened just 2 years ago, when the 11-5 Patriots missed the playoffs but the 8-8 Chargers won the AFC West. Same scenario, except the Chargers finished at an even .500.

    So I realize that Seattle is a crappy team, and that it's unfair because the Giants are better than them (yet are watching the playoffs on TV). But the fact remains that Seattle pulled out a victory at home when they needed a win to clinch the playoffs. The Giants could've clinched their own spot with a home win vs. Philly in Week 15. As we all know, they collapsed and blew it.

    So personally, I'll root for Seattle, because they managed to do what we couldn't -- win a must-win game. I'm not saying they're No. 1 on my list. Far from it. But I'd put them a lot higher than No. 11.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eagles are definitely dead last after "the game". I'd put the Jets above the Pats. I also have no problem rooting for the Jets, but I just can't take the Pats. I'd also put the Chiefs above the Saints. The Saints took it last year, time to give someone else a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, how does that make Charlie Weis feel about leaving for Florida? Does he then renege on his agreement with the Gators? (Kinda like how Billy Donovan, ironically enough, started to leave Florida for the Orlando Magic but then quickly changed his mind...)

    Also, I wonder if that would be unprecedented. Has a coach ever announced his departure (not for retirement, but another team) in midseason and then proceeded to win the championship?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My how CT has fallen. Uconn football does not cover in the Fiesta. Uconn women lose to Stanford and now lose #1 ranking. Taurasi tests positive for banned substance. Edall leaves. Whoever this lawyer is just jinxed the state. I guess that is what you get for allowing a lawyer to guestblog.

    As far as the list: I go with 12) Eagles -- i do not like any Philly teams, except Nova and they are technically outside the City. 11)Patriots - hate all Boston teamsno exceptions 10) Bears --- hate all Chicago teams 9) Colts--- although I think you have to think they will beat Jets at night All the rest I don't really care. except for 1 & 2 I 'll root for the Jets since I grew up rooting for both NY teams. Why not, both are always on TV and almost never at same time. Also very rare that both are good the same year. I will root for the Saints. Never been there but want to go. I love Jazz, and when the Saints go marching in is one of the only songs I can sing with my 4 1/2 year old daughter...... Go Aints. My prediction is Saints vs. Steelers in Super Bowl with a Repeat of N'ORleans W.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been a bad week for UConn (you forgot to mention how Pitt beat the UConn men on Tuesday) but it's a little ridiculous to throw the Taurasi thing in there. It's like saying that Ole Miss had a bad week because Eli threw a few more picks.

    But here's the upside for CT that you also forgot to mention: UConn *played* in the Fiesta Bowl. They made the *BCS* only 8 years after joining the Big East. Jeez, a decade ago they were in Division I-AA and playing schools like Maine and URI. So let's give Edsall and the Huskies some credit just for being in a position to play Oklahoma on New Years Day. Pitt, West Virginia, and other more "prestigious" schools were watching them lose on TV, and I guarantee they would've traded places in a Hartbeat (get it?)

    Also, the Edsall departure feels like a punch in the stomach (and deserves a ranting blog post of its own) but it's very possible that his replacement can bring the UConn program to even bigger heights. Mike Leach and his high-flying offense is available. Rich Rodriguez will probably be unemployed soon as well, and while he's a second-to-none tool, the man can recruit like nobody's business. So even though Randy's gone, UConn might pick up where he left over with a big name and a recruitment boost (thanks, BCS!)

    P.S. UConn women are still going to destroy the field in the tournament. They probably needed a loss to keep the pressure off in March. Can you imagine a 115-game winning streak going into the Madness?? No, thanks. Better to learn a lesson or two now and be relaxed when the Final Four rolls around. Plus, now they're really freaking hungry to seek revenge from Stanford. This just may replace any sense of complacency with a sense of purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I said: The Eagles are by far the worst, the next 4 ('Hawks, Pats, Jets, and Bears) in my mind are interchangeable and then the bottom 7 are all OK in my book. Brett Favre is not in the playoffs, the Cowboys are not in the playoffs, the Redskins are not in the playoffs and the Chargers are not in the playoffs so that eliminates 4 easy teams to root against. There's not a lot of hatred for the other teams left besides the Eagles---at least in my mind

    Thought it seems the venom directed towards the Pats is equally strong...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew, I would love to know why you consider the Jets to be in your top 4 to root against? They're not one of the Giants' conference rivals and they're a fellow New York team. If your Giants can't win it, why not root for the Jets? You even admit that you don't carry any animosity towards the Jets. At least the Jets could help the New Meadowlands' first season end with a big win. This just makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed Elissa. As a Giants fan I totally want the Jets to win it all. Would be awesome to see a team wearing "NY" stomping on the star in Dallas.

    Plus the Rex Ryan wife foot fetish stuff is hilarious and I want to keep it in the media cycle into February

    ReplyDelete
  13. +1 to what Elissa said. I never got that "let's root against the hometown rival team" in football or baseball. In the standings, losing to Dallas (NYG) or Boston (NYY) is way worse!

    I live in Seattle and can't stand the fairweathered nature of the fans (except for the Seattle Sounders).

    My rank of not wanting to win:

    12: SEA (See above)
    11: PHI (NFC East - boo)
    10: PIT (can't cheer for Roethlisberger)
    9: KC (OAK swept division 6-0)
    8: IND (Manning face)
    7: CHI (Cutler wins in spite of himself)
    6: NE (Brady has been at his best, but there is always the Bill B. evil mastermind factor)
    5: BAL (Baltimore is not all defense like they were 10 years ago)
    4: GB (would be nice for Rodgers and GB, after dealing with all of the Favre BS)
    3: NO (love Drew Brees and how he has won a SB after SD dumped him for Rivers the punk. Wouldn't be devastated if they beat ATL but I had to pick someone)
    2: NYJ (I like Rex. I see no reason to root against him)
    1: ATL (Blank seems like a good guy and after the turmoil with Vick and Petrino, he is due for good karma - plus he has a good team)

    ReplyDelete