Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Standing O: Merlin the Arch Enchanter

The New York Knickbockers finally got back to the win column last night against the Washington Wizards and today we get another great post about the win from Alex O in a new running column series we'll call "A Standing O": 
When you need to get back on track, call a Wizard
-------------------------------------------------------------
“The ways of this Wizard pass all understanding” Merlin the Arch Enchanter

Nice to get the Wizards in town last night to help the Knickerbockers get back on track, and end the slide at 6. More on that later.

I remember when I heard Pat Riley had signed on to coach the Knicks. As a long time Lakers & Knicks fan growing up, I was very excited and thought it would guarantee a title for the Knicks---- if not several...Jordan, Hakeem, and others had other outcomes in mind. Thinking of that Rockets team, always reminds me of one of the all-time great nicknames----- E.T. for Sam Cassell.

I think my Dad got an even bigger kick out of that one then me. Sam is now an assistant coach with the Wizards.

I also had some decent feelings when the Knicks hired Lenny Wilkens. I did not get good vibes when they hired Larry Brown. I did get excited about Mike D’Antoni. I was happy about the signing because I love run and gun hoops like the Magic/Kareem/Worthy Lakers, UNLV Runnin' Rebels, and Kimble Gathers Loyola Marymount squads. The jury is still out on D’Antoni even though there were some rumors about him losing his job the last time the Knicks had a 6 game losing streak.

I am willing to give him time (as if I have choice), since the roster has lots of new faces and is the first decent roster Pringles has had to coach. It is worth a discussion on how he has done, and my bottom line is that I hope he gets more creative as the season goes on. Let Mozgov foul…. I mean play a little. I would like to see if Anthony Randolph can play. We still need to defend the rim better.

There are no secrets in the NBA. Teams need to adjust as the season goes on, especially if they have a weakness that gets exploited every night. Teams are able to drive on the Knicks at will, many times working on their chin-ups. Charles Oakley is an assistant with the Bobcats trying to toughen those guys up. Maybe the Knicks should have hired him. Maybe Pringles D’Antoni needs to try some zone and clog the middle?

I am not claiming to be Hubie Brown (coaching genius), I am just getting a little frustrated. Last night you saw the Wizards get some good run from a rookie reserve Seraphin and a D leaguer Shakur. It shows that Flip Saunders is willing to mix it up--- or that he is desperate? Maybe Ernie Grunfeld put him up to it? Sometimes it seems that D’Antoni does not take risks and is coaching safe to keep his job.

My point is that we Knicks fans got a “marquee” coach again to lead us to respectability and I am not overly thrilled with the progress. I give him a grade of B- so far this year. The players love him and love playing for him and I think he has done a good job of getting the most out of this team. There was a quote I read recently from D’Antoni’s wife that talked about how much Mike cared about the guys and how he wanted them to feel like they were part of a family.

Swarming Knicks Defense? (AP)
Amare and Felton have been exceptional, deservedly captains and playing the best hoops of their careers. Felton might be shooting too much and his 23 of 79 the 5 games before last night were a big reason they were losing and might be the reason Raymond gets left off the All-Star game. He was “Furious” in his halftime interview at how he and the team was playing and said that they were not playing with the energy needed to win. The lack of fight, desire, and effort was what made previous Knicks teams unwatchable---- this team is definitely different.

Chandler and Gallo had good nights last night which hopefully will get them back on track. Turiaf and Douglas have been productive in their roles when healthy and I think that Shawne Williams has been a good addition to the mix. He is still leading the NBA in 3 point field goal %, going 38 of 71 (53.5%). He has been a good redemption story so far considering his past and also considering that he did not play the first 17 games. Landry Fields has been great and I cringe whenever I hear these trade talks including him.

Thursday the Heat come to town and Marv broadcasts a game in the Garden on TNT which is how it should be. No offense to Mike Breen but I miss Marv and it is a disgrace that Dolan forced him out. After the Heat they go to Atlanta in a back-to-back.

If the playoffs started today the Knicks would be the 6th seed, 5.5 back of Orlando and 4 ahead of Philly. I hope they keep the team in tact try and: 1) solidify the line-up through free agency in the off-season (Melo and/or Marc Gasol) 2) re-sign Wilson Chandler 3) get something for the expiring contract/corpse of Eddy Curry, maybe a draft pick.

Let’s go Knicks, and let’s hope that Marv says “Yes!!!” more times for the Knicks then Heat on Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment