Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Million Little Fibers: Looking Back on Two Years

Two years ago I decided it was time to get my blog on. I had run the Astron Solutions blog for a few years but while I enjoyed writing about HR, I really wanted to write about sports. I wrote for school newspapers in high school and college and had even started a sports magazine in college. I liked the writing and I liked the discussions that followed. I was part of the sports department of Brandeis' radio station, WBRS, and I loved the spots debate. I felt like I had the experience. So I figured blogging about sports should be a breeze (little did I know...)

The first task was choosing a name and this took me a while. But on January 4, 2009 I was watching South Park episode "A Million Little Fibers" and the idea which had been oscillating in my head for a few days came to fruition as Towlie was being fired from PF Chang's ("how spicy would you like your Chang sauce?)": No, You're a Towel.

We had a mascot, we had a name, we had a blog...but as our first post showed, we had no clue exactly who we were. We wrote about anything and everything and sometimes at the same time. We had an awesome name but few people--if any--would take us seriously. Last January we had our most popular post ever (a look at Scott Boras' conflict of interest) and a few people e-mailed me that it was time to change the name.

So we did and that's why we're at NYaT now. But it also changed our focus. We stopped trying to be everything to everyone and stuck to what we do best: New York area sports and television. Sure, we digress every once in a while (it's only natural) but we have fun and try to bring you something worthwhile. There are better and much more popular amateur Yankee blogs out there (River Ave Blues, IIATMS, Yankeeist, and TYU just to name a few--and you can always find links to all of them in our blogroll on the right) but we'll always be here covering the Yankees. The idea is to try to bring you a different perspective and provide it to you in a meaningful way.

I hope we've succeeded. My goal is to have you bookmark us (or RSS us) and stop by to check out what we have each day. We don't get to write as much as we would like to because, well, we all have day jobs and half of our writers just got engaged. But what we do provide is (I hope) fun and thought-provoking and brings out the debate like our WBRS "Double Overtime" show used to do. I think I saw that again in our annual look at who to root for in the NFL playoffs and I'm excited for another year ahead of sports excitement. Thanks for coming by the blog and making it a great two years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to point out that there a ton of easy ways to follow us here at NYaT. You can...
And if you want to provide some feedback, don't hesitate to contact me (or anyone else from the blog). My e-mail address is katz [at] noyoureatowel [dot] net. Thanks again!

    4 comments:

    1. I'd like to see more TV talk. Maybe the lack there-of is a statement about the short supply of good TV. I don't get HoBO so that may be part of the problem. i also don't DVR because I think it is evil and causes people to watch even more TV then is healthy.

      I have an idea, how about a panel discussion about reality shows, to help people in what is worthwhile viewing. Personally I enjoy Chopped on Food Network, and Pawn Stars.

      Overall I enjoy the blog, tremndously.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Mister Zonk!

      I watched Pawn Stars for the first time the other day and it is highly entertaining. I hear "Hardcore Pawn" is even better.

      I'm going to get back to the TV blogging with some help from the rest of the team (Jay has promised a review of "The Walking Dead" and Ben W will be doing a "Top 10 Family Guy Episodes" post too). In the next few days I'll review my favorite TV of 2010 and hope to get back to the weekly blogging once Mad Men and Breaking Bad start up again.

      And I am one of those people who probably watches more TV than is healthy...

      ReplyDelete
    3. I have caught the mini episodes of Breaking Bad and look forward to the new season. Talk about a show that is so different form any other. Am I the only one who thinks Skyler is hot and so obviously out of Walter White's league? I digress.

      Pawn Stars is actually a little bit educational as well.

      I need to try and catch a full episode of Brew Master--- i think that is what it is called, since I try to make my own beer sometimes, and Dogfish head is some good brew. We will probably all have to make our own beer when the gov't jacks up the sin taxes even more--- just wait.

      ReplyDelete
    4. "Brewmasters" is good--though it's way too formulaic to make it past a few seasons (making a new beer + trouble in the production = every episode). But it's a fun new show from the same people who do Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations"

      ReplyDelete