Friday, December 31, 2010

Guest Post: Bowling Anyone?

I received this guest post from Alex O yesterday, but unfortunately haven't been able to post until today. I know that some of it has been completed, but plenty is still good and relevant. Here is Alex O with another guest post on the college bowl season:
Yankee Stadium was the snowy site of The Pinstripe Bowl (ESPN)
------------------------------------------------
How about a little December 30 MMX bowl chatter?

Army vs. SMU just kicked off, being played in Dallas. I always root for the Black Knights having grown up 25 minutes from West Point and going to a bunch of games through the years. There is not many places as great for a College Football game then Michie Stadium on the banks of the Hudson

Army was getting 7 points but is already up 7. I think they get figured out like they did vs. Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium and they end up getting lumped (unfortunately).

Three other games today including Kansas State (-1) vs. Syracuse. I used to work with a guy named Blatchley who went to KState. I am sure he will be watching somewhere today chewing on some beef jerky with a Bud Light in hand. This is of course is the Inaugural Pinstripe Bowl, little nippy to be “chillin” at Yankee Stadium for a Bowl game of slightly above average teams. The oddsmakers think it will be close so could be worth a gander. If gambling were legal I would take the point and go with the Orange. Here is Yahoo’s short preview.

I guess back in the day they had the Gotham Bowl at the old old Yankee Stadium. It was 1962 and read this quick Wikipedia snippet on the unsuccessful Gotham Bowl.

Later in Nashville you have the Music City Bowl with UNC (-1) vs. Tennessee . UT has the “home field” even though Nashville is not exactly next door to Knoxville. Once again the bookies think it will be tight so might be worth watching. I have always been a UNC hoops fan since the days of Worthy, Sam “Big Smooth/Sleepy Sam” Perkins, and of course Jordan. Yet I am torn, because I always enjoy hearing the band strike up a rambunctious version of “Rocky Top” . Too bad they don’t play Tennesse Jed!

I’ll give the point and take the Tar Heels, if gambling were legal.

Tonight they play the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. Nebraska is giving (-14) to Washington Huskies. They played last year in the same bowl and earlier this year Nebraska lit up the Huskies in Seattle (56-21). I wouldn’t bother watching. I think The Cornhuskers will lump ‘em good and cover with ease. Besides on TNT tonbight the Knicks battle the new look Magic so you can do your last JJ Redick hating of 2010. In the second half of the doubleheader the Spurs are at Dallas who will probably not have Dirk Nowitzki. He is out with a knee, which is too bad because this is a match up of the West’s two top teams.

Enjoy your viewing, and don’t drink and drive! As I finish this up Army is ahead 13-0…. Shows what I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment