Monday, May 10, 2010

Running Series: Yankee Stadium Deconstruction Update 5/10/10

Yesterday, while heading up to Westchester for Mother's Day through the Bronx, I passed by the New Yankee Stadium and the remnants of old Yankee Stadium. It's depressing. At this point, it is one piece of the stands and nothing else. Mud, debris, cleanup vehicles, The Bat...and this one structure that was one of my least favorite parts of the old place (it was the walkway on the side of the outfield).

The most amazing part for me? The fact that while the Old Stadium felt enormous, the footprint left is tiny in comparison. In other words, it's strange to think that the small plot of dirt that currently sits on this spot housed so many people at one point. I used to walk into the Old Stadium and I felt overwhelmed by the place. Now I look at the plot of land and try to remember the structure that was there. While my subway car was whizzing by, I decided to snap a few photos. Check them out below and let us know your thoughts as the last pieces of the House that Ruth Built are finally torn down.




No comments:

Post a Comment