Monday, October 18, 2010

RIP Freddy "Sez", Your Pan Will Be Missed

They say that bad things come in threes. I came out of the movies last night to multiple messages on my Blackberry about the death of Freddy Schuman, AKA Freddy "Sez". For those who don't know, Freddy has been a fixture of Yankee Stadium ever since I can remember, with his pan and spoon trying to rally the crowd. He had creative (and usually rhyming) signs and walked around the Stadium from section-to-section. You always liked when that pang pang pang got louder because you knew that you were that closer to banging the pan.
Oddly, my first time banging the pan wasn't at Yankee Stadium. It was at the old All-Star Cafe for Game 4 of the 1996 American League Championship Series. I saw Freddy there and decided to go up to finally get the courage to go up to him and bang the pan (I have no clue why I was nervous...but I was). I asked him why he wasn't in Baltimore and he said he doesn't go on the road trips, and added "besides, why would I want to go to Baltimore?"

The Yankees won a slug-fest of a game and I'll always remember thinking that my pan-banging was a reason. Two years ago, as the Old Yankee Stadium was coming to a close, I saw Freddy walking around while I was talking with a friend. I realized that Freddy was a part of my Old Stadium experience as much as meeting at the bat, or walking through the tunnel to see that green grass, or hearing Bob Sheppard over the loudspeaker or chanting along with the Bleacher Creatures' roll call. I had my friend snap that picture to the right.

Last night, when I got home, I found it again and smiled at the one-eyed man with the pan, Freddy "Sez" who will join George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard as people watching over these 2010 Yankees. I don't think Yankee Stadium security will let 50,000 people bring in pans to the stadium tonight, but hopefully I hear that pang pang pang from my spot in the bleachers and know that Freddy's memory is still with us.


Ben Kabak of River Ave Blues has a really good post about the Yankee Stadium stalwart, ESPNNewYork's Ian Begley interviews Freddy's long-time friend, and NoMass gives Freddy a one pan tribute.

4 comments:

  1. Yankee Stadium probably won't let it happen, but everyone who goes to the next three games should bring a frying pan and a spoon with them.

    Better yet, the Yankees should come up with some way to distribute a variation of it (a la thundersticks).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...the odds that they let 50,000 drinking fans carry around pans is highly unlikely. Thinking of bringing my spoon, though, so I can bang it against the bleachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet the tbs boys do not even mentione freddy. that is sad. Go Yanks. Hopefully Andy can get out of the early innings unscathed and we can get to Cliff Lee early. I thought of Andrews comments of how he did not care for Michael Kay---- especially Saturday morning when i was watching a replay of the post game and Michale Kay declared that the series was over----- after 1 game. What a bufoon. Go Yanks, we need the bats to be alive tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Alex. I actually heard Kay say that on the replay of the postgame the next day and wanted to knock him out through the screen. That was an idiotic comment from a guy who seems to be in no short supply of them.

    ReplyDelete