Monday, October 25, 2010

"Mad Season" for the Yankees Comes to an End

Joe Girardi's Binder was part of this Mad Season (NYT)
"I feel stupid - but I know it won't last for long
I've been guessing - and I coulda been guessin' wrong
You don't know me now
I kinda thought that you should somehow
Does that whole mad season got ya down?"
-"Mad Season" by Matchbox 20

Whenever a season ends without a championship, it sucks. As a fan, we feel betrayed, angry, and confused and want to second-guess every decision. Should they have taken A.J. Burnett out earlier in Game 4? Should they have resisted walking Josh Hamilton all those times? Should they have used CC Sabathia instead of David Robertson in Game 6? Should they have gone to Mariano in more games? We look back and we try to figure "when did this go wrong?" We look to blame someone: The Captain, the manager, the general manager, even the idiotic play-by-play guy who declared the series over and done with after the Yankees had won exactly one game. In the end, though, after digesting a tough ALCS loss, I feel that maybe we were fooled by this Yankees team, thinking they were better than they were and that we ran into a better team in the Texas Rangers.

But while I'm ready to tip my cap to the Texas Rangers and wish them luck representing the American League in the World Series, I'm not ready to put this Mad-dening Season to rest. The Yankees came into the season as World Series champs, looked like the favorite to repeat at the All-Star Break, faltered down the stretch, swept a very good Twins team in the first round, and then ran into Cliff Lee and the Rangers in the ALCS. The turning point of the season may have been the Yankees' failure to acquire Lee. I opined at the time that not acquiring Lee may be the move that cost the Yankees the pennant. I thought the lack of Lee on the Yankees was the trouble--I had no clue that Lee would actually be one of the guys to knock the Yankees out of the playoffs.

That's not to say that I blame Brian Cashman for this loss. I liked the Nick Johnson and Javier Vazquez moves in the offseason, and although they didn't work out, his low-cost signing of Marcus Thames and low-cost trades for Kerry Wood and Lance Berkman were really good moves. The inability to get Lee was not a Yankee problem--it was a Seattle mistake. I think that the Mariners will look back on missing out on getting Montero for years, but that's no solace now for the Yankees who didn't get Lee to shore up their pitching staff.

And that's not to blame the Yankees pitching. In the end, the lack of hitting in the postseason was the real problem for the Yankees. Would the Yankees have hit better the rest of the series had Mark Teixeira not gone down in Game 3? Maybe. Did Mark Teixeira's injuries, Brett Gardner's wrist, A-Rod's hip, and Nick Swisher's knee hurt the Yankees? Probably. But the truth is that they needed to hit better, especially off of guys like Colby Lewis (who we all completely overlooked). Gardner stopped hitting the ball, Thames stopped being a force, Swisher looked lost, Berkman was forced to hit from the right side, and A-Rod and Derek Jeter couldn't do anything at times.

And I think the last two are the biggest problem--at times the Yankees looked old. With Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte free agents, the Yankees have a lot of tough decisions this off-season. How much and how many years for Jeter and Rivera? Does Pettitte retire? Do they promote Jesus Montero? How high do the Yankees bid on Cliff Lee who has been dominant this postseason but is on the wrong side of the pitching age and does have injury history? Do they try to trade for Zach Greinke, who, while great, had anxiety problems in the past and succeeded in small-market Kansas City? Do the Yankees go after Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth knowing that they already have a full outfield? What about Adam Dunn who would look pretty nice as a DH for the Yankees?

Another big question which is not really a question is about the free agency of Joe Girardi. Girardi will be resigned but after a postseason series where he seemed to be outmanaged and after he didn't equivocally say that he would have stayed with the Yanks had the Chicago Cubs job been available, how long will the Yankees give him? It seemed that everything that Girardi touched in the 2009 postseason turned to gold (except for that incredibly binder-driven, idiotic move in the ALCS), but in 2010, he had more than one hiccup. Again, that binder was present. In the end, you can't blame the manager for the players not performing, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy with the moves that were made--especially in the pivotal Game 4.

There were things about this season and the playoffs that made me happy: Robinson Cano's true coming out party, Curtis Granderson's turn around, Brett Gardner's big season, Phil Hughes' establishment as a legitimate starter, and improved all-around play from Nick Swisher. I loved seeing guys develop in the minors like Jesus Montero, Ivan Nova, Austin Romine, Brandon Laird, Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman, Eduardo Nunez, and others who will be the next wave of Yankees. There were really great things this season amongst the losses of George Steinbrenner, Bob Sheppard, and Freddy "Sez". It just didn't have a feel-good ending.

Yet, I don't know why, but unlike the past decade of losing in the playoffs this year's really didn't bother me as much (probably because of the win last year). I'm usually a lot more sullen after a postseason series loss, letting it effect me for a few weeks before I turn my thoughts to football and hockey. I've already turned the page to tonight's Monday Night Football match-up and the New York (Football) Giants. Maybe it was because we all (when thinking rationally) saw this coming during the September swoon or because we lost to a legitimately good team. Honestly, more than anything I feel stupid that I was duped into thinking this team was better than it was, that it was going to walk all over the competition when coming into the division series, I wasn't sure if they would get out of the first round. I'm angry that I let a sweep of the Justin Morneau-less, Yankee-snake-bitten Twins change my outlook on this team and on this Mad Season.

In the end, though, I could have seen a path towards World Series #28, to winning Game 4, taking Game 5, and having to find a way in Games 6 or 7 to take the series--or so I told myself. I will still mourn the loss. Now the goal is to look ahead to 2011, to free agency and trades and the hot stove and of figuring out how to make this team better next year. Congrats to the Texas Rangers and good luck in the World Series--but I hope the reign ends there as the Yankees look for #28 in 2011. This Mad Season for the Yankees, however, is done.

I'll leave this post as an open thread. Let us know your thoughts on the end of the Yankees season in the comments below. We're far from done on Yankee coverage in 2010 so make sure to come back here for lots more.

5 comments:

  1. Well here's the first shoe to drop: Dave Eiland will not be brought back as pitching coach. I guess that little hiatus during the season (he missed the entire month of June) is still not resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be shocked but this loss bothers me the least of all Yanks playoffs losses since 1995. The main reason is they won last year but also because the Rangers were simply better. Sports can be misleading because of history, we think of the Rangers as a team who can't pitch. In reality, their pitching was good outside of Lee. And their hitting is really good. I didn't get a chance to post but I thought the Rangers would win in 7.

    There are some things that aggravate me though. I have to admit its tough being a Yankeee fan in this era when they lose. I look at what they need to change and then I see the payroll and just cringe. Last year they won so the payroll wasn't an issue. Now, it's tough to swallow. It starts with Jeter. I really don't know if he deserves to be back. Crazy talk but i'm talking $$. If he wants to come back for $10 M and bat 9th, I'm good. The reality is he brings the team down with his play. He's really bad defensively and let's face it his numbers were putrid. Furthermore, he's the leadoff hitter who is supposed to be the catalyst. Look at the other side, Andrus - he was what you would expect from a leadoff guy. If you think about it, one of the biggest advantages texas had was the leadoff guy. I know others hit bad as well so its not entirely his fault. And I know it would be probably not be wise to let a legend walk. But all I am saying is that this is a problem, a bigger issue than some people think.

    Posada needs to go to, enough is enough. They need to get Jason Werth and put Swisher in DH slot as he cannot field. Of course, Werth is another big contract. This team will never be under $200 million in our lifetime. It's quite unbeleivable when you think about it. And then you have A-rod. I don't know how to approach this one. He was so good last year. Now you look at it though, he's been bad 5 out 6 postseason's (don't give me '04 because the team choked and he was the main reason). I don't know what this means because I really do appreciate what he did last year. It's just another point.

    And let's not overlook the fact that Mr. August has returned. C.C. was not good this postseason, he ptiched bad against the Twins and Texas bailed him out of Game 5. Still, I like C.C. and he's so important to the team so this is just a point.

    There were positives of course, Cano was just unreal. Kerry Wood - what a job he did. And then there is Mo. It will be interesting what this team does and see if the payroll can stay under $300 Million

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swisher's fielding is not an issue. He's actually improved a lot out there. And Jeter and Posada will be back next year, like it or not. Posada is signed for another year and the Yankees need Jeter and Jeter needs the Yankees. I don't think he's going to get a monster deal, but he'll get paid.

    And you really can't get on CC that much. He pitched three times and they ended up winning all three games. That's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding C.C., I'm only trying to point out the fact he isn't a dominant #1 starter that Yankee fans seem to think. He's very solid and a workhorse but he's not as good Lee, Lincecum, or Halladay. This isn't a bad thing and I wouldn't want him to go anywhere its just sometimes we expect too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It hurts as a Yankees fan this year because you knew they were good enough to win it all. There is disapointment when our starters do not pitch well in the ALCS, and when some hitters are very unproductive. Personally I try not to get into the blame game too much, and if so I give blame where it is inexcusable. How about Posada getting duped on that double steal which was described as a high school ball trick. Is it more amazing that Posada fell for it or that Texas knew he would? I am not a habitual Jorge basher but this was an embarassment. I also find the numerous Girardi mistakes inexcusable and wish they would not re-sign him. It was a good run and I would be surprised if Texas does not win it all. They are a hot team right now. I just edited my post since I read the options on Wood, Nick Johnson, and Berkman are not being picked up. These leaves some interesting holes to fill. Personally I would like to see some youth get some burn on this team. Let Nova and Albaladejo fill soem spots. A ? is Pettite, will he come back. My guess is no. I would like to see Werth get signed, and do not sign a DH. We have a lot of DH's and maybe Jorge does a lot of that in what I hope is his last year. On a final note , it was great to see Cano do so well, and I hope he gets the MVP although I have a feeling it will go to Josh Hamilton---- not a bad choice either.

    ReplyDelete