Monday, August 30, 2010

Who Did You Root For This Weekend?

As a Yankee fan, I felt torn this weekend: do I root for the Tampa Bay Rays or the Boston Red Sox? On Twitter and the blogosphere, the question was debated back and forth as well. But as I sat there last night watching Sunday night baseball, I felt conflicted. So besides rooting for a 20-inning game, a tie, or an implosion of Tropicana Field (just kidding on the last one), I figured I had to pick sides. So, I *gulp* picked the Red Sox--but barely. Here's what went into the decision:
Carlos Pena & the Rays bowled over the Red Sox taking 2 of 3 (St. Pete Times)

Although the Yankees and Red Sox have two series left (a home-and-home sort of deal), I'm not sure Boston will be a team the Yankees will have to worry about. Coolstandings.com has the Red Sox at 0.5% to win the division and 5.7% to win the Wild Card (6.2% to make the playoffs). Baseball Prospectus has the Red Sox at 1.3% to win the division and 9.5% to win the Wild Card (10.9% to make the playoffs). That's the best odds of any third place team to make the playoffs and with the Red Sox pitching staff, home park, and memories of 2004, you can never count them out.

And since the goal is just to make the playoffs, the further away the Red Sox are from the Yankees, the better it is for their playoff odds. This is especially important for a veteran team like the Yankees who may want to rest guys like Derek Jeter down the stretch, ease guys like Andy Pettitte and A-Rod back into the lineup, line up a postseason rotation, and limit the amount of regular season innings for Phil Hughes. Clinching a playoff spot early can do that for them.

On the other hand, it seems that the Red Sox, at 6.5 back, are firmly in the Yankees' rear view mirror (PECOTA has them at only 4.6% chance to make the playoffs). With only 6 games remaining against the Yankees, the Red Sox would have to win at least 5 out of 6 and hope for some help from the other teams playing the Yankees. While of course a possibility, it doesn't seem like the team that they should worry about right now. Their bigger concern now may be clinching home-field advantage for the ALDS and ALCS. And although the Yankees have the third best road record in baseball (just behind Tampa and San Diego), they have excelled at home the past two seasons in both the regular season and the playoffs (this year they are best in the AL at home). Right now, the Rays seem like the greatest threat to the Yankees repeat of the American League pennant (though Texas or Minnesota would be really tough too), and an extra home game in a possible ALCS couldn't hurt (especially since anyone the Yankees will play in the playoffs will have a really good home record).

Could the Yankees blow the 6.5 game lead over the Red Sox? Absolutely. But if the Yankees win one of the next two games, they're guaranteed to go into September with at least a 6 game lead on the Sox. This is a Red Sox team without Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis (as well as Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Cameron and others). They are fighting to stay in it, but without the sign of reinforcements coming via the waiver wire, this may be the team you see at the end of September. Is that team dangerous? Sure. But I think the Yankees greater concern should be Tampa at this juncture. The Red Sox play 7 games against the White Sox coming up who while they may start to fall out of the race, will have Manny Ramirez who may want to enact a little revenge from his former squad (and a focused and vengeful Manny is tough to deal with).

So who were you rooting for? And, when these two teams play again in a week, who will you be rooting for? Yankees fans, let us know in the comments below. I can't say I was rooting for the Red Sox (I feel that's like rooting for cavities when you go to the dentist), but if I had to pick one team last night, I may have been picking them. Of course, the Red Sox losing didn't bother me one bit (I was happy neither team swept the series). I just wish it took them 20 innings to complete it. Hopefully next week...

6 comments:

  1. I was definetley rooting for the Rays. I tend to do that though since I like the team, young underdogs, and I also feel an allegiance since my parents moved to the Tampa area 10 years ago (1 hour south). That may be stupid since my favorite tema is the Yanks, but it is what it is. I also can never root for the Red Sox. i do not hate them, or their players or their fans even though I live in an area with many Red Sox fans and am blown away by the hatred they have for the Yankees. I agrew with Andrew to root for the Rays based on putting the space between Yanks and the only team that can really kick them out of the Playoffs. There have been crazy finishes to seasons ie: Rockies winning 14 of 15 in which the Yanks could lose wildcard to a few teams if they went cold same time this other tema went bonkers, BUT the parity is so prevalent I do not see it happening. Yesterday was a huge win of a close game on the road combined with the right team losing (Red Sox). Pena hit a bomb in that game in case you missed game or highlights! If Manny goes to White Sox and he is live in Fenway over Labor Day weekend that could be interesting. I am not a Manny fan but the pitch he got tossed over was a few inches outside. That does not mean he should be bitching and moaning, take it like a man. One last note, it has been great to see MArcus Thames come through the last couple games. It is a classic sign of a top team to have occasions where unsung heros come through. Let's hope the Yanks can create some breathing room as they enter the longest homestand of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just as torn- I was definitely happy no one swept, which was my only real wish. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I can't say I was rooting for the Sox, but I didn't want to see the Rays gain anything on the Yankees as an early clinch would help us.

    The only thing I do know is that all of this will make for a very interesting September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red Sox are also 7 games back in loss column which means that they would need a lot of help.

    Boston is currently 5-7 vs. the Yankees and 5-10 vs. Tamps so their only chance of even getting a tiebreaker is to beat the Yankees in 5 out of 6 (and the only reason tiebreaker would matter is if both finished higher than the Rays).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sort of drives that point home:

    @jessespector: If either the Yankees or Rays goes .500 the rest of the way, the Red Sox will have to go 22-9 to tie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rays without hesitation. I enjoy watching the Sox lose lately. I enjoyed the Rays win last night more than the Yankee victory believe it or not. Now the two teams have separated themselves from the sox. Now is the time to root for the Rays to lose. Although I do like the Rays and respect what they are doing with the low payroll. It wouldn't bother me so much if they won the division (vs. Boston winning it) meaning if yanks were to finish second to someone, I don't mind the rays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand people picking the Rays, but it makes very little sense to be happier about a Sox loss than a Yankees win. At the very least, a Yankees loss yesterday meant they were going to lose ground to someone. I mind the Rays only because they are the Yankees' competition, but agree with you there's no where near the amount of dislike directed at them.

    ReplyDelete