Tuesday, August 3, 2010

MLB.TV overcharges for its iPhone app

You know what really grinds my gears?  The fact that MLB charges $14.99 for its At Bat 2010 iPhone app.

As we have discussed previously, it costs $119.95 for a one-year premium subscription to MLB.TV.  However, this price does NOT include the $14.99 At Bat 2010 iPhone app.  So if I want to watch my games online or via my PS3, I'm all set.  But if I want to watch games on my iPhone, I need to fork up another fifteen bucks.  Ridiculous.

Here is the email I just received:


Email image courtesy of Major League Baseball

The nerve of MLB to...
  1. Charge an additional $14.99 on top of the $100 (regular subscription) or $120 (premium subscription) fee that they already charge for MLB.TV.
  2. Continue selling the At Bat 2010 app for the full $14.99 with only a third of the season left.
  3. Forcing consumers to purchase a new At Bat app every season instead of offering free yearly software updates.  At $14.99 per year, that could really add up in the long run.
I just don't understand it.  MLB has a ton of control over the broadcasts of its games.  And technology has made it very easy for fans to access the broadcasts.  So why is MLB making it so expensive and therefore difficult for fans to watch these games?  In other words, why is MLB creating barriers that prevent fans from consuming its product?  The league should be doing everything possible to attract fans, not drive them away.

Bottom line?  Charging $14.99 to people who have already paid $100 or $120 for a subscription to MLB.TV is a really fast way to lose customers.

2 comments:

  1. I think what is most hilarious about this article is that i knew it had to be written by Jay cause none of the other NYaT writers would ever use the term "grinds my gears"

    High comedy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst part is that I wanted to play the audio on my Blackberry Curve...so I forked over $15 since it wasn't included in my MLB.tv "premium" subscription. Then I upgraded to the Blackberry Bold and suddenly "Gameday Audio" wasn't "compatible" with the Bold. So I had to fork over another $15 for MLB at Bat (which doesn't even include live video!). Nevermind if I want to get At Bat for my iPod Touch. Or the updates.

    Jay, you're right, it is ridiculous and it "grinds my gears" as well

    ReplyDelete