Friday, July 23, 2010

What Would You Ask For If You Caught An Important Home Run Ball?

On Wednesday, Colin Curtis hit a memorable home run into the rightfield stands. It was memorable because he came on with an 0-2 count in a big spot, battled back to make the count 3-2 and then hit the home run. It was also memorable because it was his first Major League home run. It was "must see TV", as Curtis, a baby-faced cancer survivor hit it out of the park and rounded the bases with a huge, thrill-of-a-lifetime smile on his face. It is hard not to root for Curtis--who never was a great hitter even in the minors--and his dad was doing so back home. Curtis got a curtain call form the Yankees crowd and amazingly got the ball back from the fan who caught it.
There was a condition to getting it back, though. The fan who caught it exchanged the ball for a signed Derek Jeter and a signed A-Rod ball. So that brings me to my question: what would you ask for in exchange for a ball like this? Would you ask for anything different? Try to sell it? Just give it to the kid?

Personally, I would ask for a baseball signed by each of the "Core Four". I think that would be a reasonable trade for the first home run ball. But if whoever is in charge of making these trades (I'm guessing a Yankee representative) said that it was too much, I'd settle for a signed ball from Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera. I already have a signed ball from Mark Teixeira and I'm not sure there's another player I would want as badly as those two. A-Rod is not a bad choice, however.

But there's another important ball that's about to head into the seats and it will probably land there this weekend: and that's A-Rod's 600th home run ball. The people at SeatGeek have done an awesome job at tracking where that ball will land and the expected profit from sitting in that seat from catching the ball. The best place to sit seems to be Section 136 so I'm sure there will be quite a few people heading there this weekend against the Royals (my vote is for tomorrow against Kyle Davies who A-Rod also hit #500). So let's say that the ball doesn't land in the bullpen or hit something (like the foul pole) and head back into play and you're the one who catches it--what do you do?

Do you put it up for auction and hope to get $100,000 or more? Do you see if the Yankees will offer you season tickets for it? Playoff tickets? Legends Seats? Is there any type of merchandise or memorabilia or experience that you would ask for?

For me, I'd take the ball and put it up for auction. The value of these baseballs have gone down in the Steroids Era, but if I can get $125,000 from a collector, I do that in a heartbeat.

But let us know what you think. If you caught someone's first home run or if you caught a milestone home run like Derek Jeter's 3000th hit or A-Rod's 600th home run, what would you ask for? Let us know in the comments below.

Picture from the New York Times

6 comments:

  1. I think I'd ask for an autographed ball from a few yankees and sweet ass tickets to some games, including ALDS, ALCS, and WS games.

    I think I'd feel kind of guilty if I didn't give it back to the player who hit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This question is a good one, and requires a complex answer.

    First homer by an unknown player, such as Colin Curtis: a ball signed by the Core Four. Andrew, I totally agree with you on this one. I actually said it aloud before I even read your answer. And I wouldn't take no for an answer by a Yankees rep. It would take each guy approximately 6 seconds to sign his name, for a combined total of less than 30 seconds for the whole ball. That's not asking for much in order for a rookie to have his first homer back. It's the best ball a Yankees fan can ask for in 2010.

    First homer by a non-Yankee prized prospect (i.e. Jason Heyward, Bryce Drew, etc.) -- bat and ball signed by the best player (or two) on that team.

    First homer by a Yankee prized prospect (i.e. Jesus Montero) -- bat and ball signed by the Core Four.

    Milestone HR (i.e. A-Rod's 600th) -- pregame or postgame meal with the Core Four. If it's even possible for the Yankees to provide it, I think that's worth what I could get on the open market. Andrew, I hate to disagree, but there's no way A-Rod's 600th will fetch $125k. Not with the steroids taint, plus another half dozen milestone balls that he's likely going to produce. I'm thinking $30k sounds about right. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd give up the *possibility* of getting around $30k for an entire meal with the Core Four.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably request that I get to present the ball to the player in person and ask for a picture of the two of us together with the ball. I can guarantee you that the Yanks would probably give you a ball and/or bat signed by the whole team if you asked for it (they make a bunch of those in Spring Training so that they have them available down the line if they are needed for such purposes).

    In the case of a milestone homer, same conditions but a pair of legends seats as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an aside, I find it extremely depressing that Legends Seats are so unaffordable for Average Joe fans that they've become key parts of milestone-baseball-exchange negotiations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Jay. Ordinarily you would ask for a of good seats as part of an exchange but if you didn't get them they wouldn't still be completely unattainable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just was told that the YES text poll from 7/23 was "What would you do with ARODs 600th home run ball if you caught it?"

    Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete