Tuesday, October 25, 2011

25 years a go today..........




October 25th, 1986 Game Six of the World Series. I still remember the Mookie commentary from a video on the 86 Mets "The ball shall not pass without offering." The famous/infamous squibber through Bill Buckner's wickets on a 3-2 count from Bob Stanley. The drama was pretty nuts if you remember 25 years a go. This 1986 Mets team may be my favorite sports team of all-time. I was reminiscing about them a little yesterday after having seen Doc Gooden on TV talk about missing the ticker tape parade because he was in the projects somewhere in Long Island whacked out on drugs.

Here is the full details of game six from baseballreference:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYN/NYN198610250.shtml

They won 108 games that year, many with suspense and drama in come from behind wins. They had a great starting rotation of : Gooden, Darling, Sid Fernandez (one of the game 7 heros in relief), Bob Ojeda (who they got in a package from Boston --- Mets sent Cal Schiraldi and others)

Gooden went 0-3 in the World Series as did Schiraldi. Can you believe the Sawx brought Schiraldi back out there in game 7 even after he threw 55 pitches in game 6? Perhaps it was because besides Bob Stanley their pen had guys like Al Nipper and Joe Sambito.

One thing I loved about this team besides having one of my favorite all time players Gary Carter (the biggest reason I started watching the Mets [I was an Expo fan b/c of Carter]), was the fact that they had stars(Carter, Hernandez, Strawberry), and they had characters like Mookie, Dykstra, Wally Backman, HoJo. I liked that they had 3 platoons going on, and it seemed like there was continually unlikely heros.

I might have to watch some youtube clips of the '86 Mets tonight to bring back the fond memories, or better yet maybe I can find that old VHS I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment