Monday, February 7, 2011

A Standing O: The Real President's Day

Most of us suffered from some sort of Super Bowl hangover this morning, but Alex O got up and banged out this blog post. I'm sorry I haven't posted it until now, but Alex is right, this should be a holiday. I'll let him give the argument...and maybe a little trivia too:
The day after Lombardi is raised should be a National holiday (LA Times)
----------------------
Today February 7th, 2011 should be a national holiday in the United States of America. It is the day after Super Bowl XLV. Every year the day after the Super Bowl should be a national holiday. As a nation we need a day to digest the big day. I mean this literally. We need a day to digest all the food and beverages consumed. The amount of calories we devoured, mostly derived from meat and cheese--sometimes meat covered in melted cheese, or meat dipped into cheese, we as a nation need a holiday.

This will never happen because it makes too much sense. Next Monday I have President’s Day off (Monday February 21st). Why not just make President’s Day observed on the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday. I don’t think this would be disrespectful to Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln etc. It actually would be perfect, because President’s Day would still be President’s Day since the game is already over. It might actually be beneficial to the economy if people plan get a ways for the 3 day SuperBowl/Prez Day weekend?

Personally, I would prefer to just make my annual voyage to my friend Bizerker’s crib in Jersey. All my closest friends from High School that still live in the NYC metro area, (some I first met in Pre-School) come every year and we enjoy tremendous hospitality along with several hours of gluttony, wagering, and storytelling (both fiction & non-fiction). It is one of the highlights of my year. One of my friends who has more kids then I do said his 3 sons were giving him a hard time and wanted him to stay home and watch the game with them. This was something I never considered since I have 2 young girls and a son who is only six months old. I don’t think this would be a discussion if my friend had the next day off to hang out with his sons!

We got another great game this year and a deserving winner. How much work do you think is being done in Green Bay…… or in Wisconsin in general? That’s another great reason to make this a national holiday……. Low productivity levels the day after the Super Bowl. I wonder what the stats are on digestive issues among the working population today, or even more detrimental to an efficient work day--hangovers.

My friends and I do the boxes on the score, half-time poker tourney, and this year the prop betting increased. I found this to make the game more interesting. I won my coin toss bet and I had the under on longest TD 43.5 yards. I lost my first team to score wager (I took Pitt) and I had the under on Rodgers throwing for more than 275.5 yards. I threw in a new wrinkle this year and put together a little quiz. See how you score. The answers are further down. I hope everyone lobbies their representatives in government to move President’s Day to the day after Super Bowl Sunday. Thanks again Bizerker, I look forward to next year. Maybe I’ll bring bageldogs.

1) Ben Roethlisberger went to Miami University--- current nickname is Red Hawks. What did they used to be called? Roethlisberger did not start at QB in High School until his Senior year--- True or False?
2) Troy Polamalu was born in USA but his heritage is shared with what famous WWF tag team legends?
3) What is a Packer?
4) Aaron Rodgers is from what town in Cali? (Bonus Pts)What does Rodgers call his TD celebration?
5) Which city has hosted the most Super Bowls?
6) Who was the quarterback for the Packers first 2 Super Bowl victories?
7) Name the 3 rivers in Pittsburgh?
8) Packers won Super Bowl 1 &2 , who won Super Bowls 3 & 4?
9) Pittsburgh lost once in a Super Bowl (XXX), who beat them? Green Bay lost once in a Super Bowl (XXXII) who beat them?
(Bonus pts.) Name the 3 teams with 4 Super Bowl losses?
10)What is the name of Super Bowl Trophy?
11) Which player (and former player’s union boss) played in Super Bowl’s in 3 different decades?
12) Which player has won Super Bowl’s with 3 different teams? Hint he is a terrible GM
13) Who was first wild card team to win Super Bowl?

22 possible points. The winning score in my focus group was 15 points.

1)Redskins bonus pt. True 2 possible points
2)Wild Somoans
3)Meat Packer (first sponsor of team was meat packing co.)
4)Chico bonus pt. “Championship belt” 2 possible points
5)Miami
6)Bart Starr
7) Monongahela, Allegheny, (form the Ohio) 3 possible pts.
8)Jets then Chiefs 2 possible points
9)Dallas beat Pitt. Denver beat GB 3 teams w/ 4 L’s Minn., Denver, Buffalo

5 possible points

10) Vince Lombardi trophy
11) Gene Upshaw
12) Matt Millen
13) Raiders

Last note: There was a discussion of a trade where the Knicks trade Anthony Randolph to get a First Round Pick, which they give to Denver, along with the corpse of Eddy Curry (and his expiring contract), and Wilson Chandler. I don’t know if Denver would try to sign Chandler at the end if this year. I would prefer to wait until free agency and not have to give up Randolph, but besides him the only difference is getting ‘Melo now or in the off season. If we are getting him then you obviously do not re-sign Chandler and we might as well do it now and maybe move up to the 5 spot so we could play either Atlanta or Orlando in the first round rather than battling Chicago.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, got slightly over half of trivia. The NFL does have the Presidents day idea in the works right now. They want to add 2 games to the schedule and push out the Bowl 2 weeks so it will happen on the Sunday before President's day.

    Many are opposed to the 18 games schedule, I tend to agree. But the idea to push SB ahead a couple weeks is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shout out to my boy Fat Paw who brought the same thing to my attention this morning. That would be a great resolution. I would be very surprised if the players go along with an 18 game schedule. We already saw last year how top teams would bench their players going into the playoffs, the league can't like that---- the bookies of course would love it!

    ReplyDelete